Thursday, October 17, 2013

It's Cold Somewhere

For the last two weeks I've been craving chili, but it's one of those dishes that you eat when it's chilly outside.  Back at home I probably would have chili three times this month, but here...it's 75 degrees if not warmer.  I couldn't wait any longer!  So I looked at recipes on Pinterest and decided on a spicy version so it would appease to Boyfriend more.  I ended up altering this recipe a bit, I was in love with the final results Boyfriend, however, was not.  But he's so picky anyway...

Sooo  here's my version of the recipe;

Ingredients
12 oz tomato paste
16 oz tomato sauce
4 15 oz cans New Orleans Style red kidney beans - drained
6 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp minced onion
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp oregano
1 tsp Tony Chachere's (cajun seasoning)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 jalapenos - remove veins & seeds - chopped
2 hatch chili peppers - remove veins & seeds - chopped
1/2 lb elbow pasta
1.25 lb ground lean beef
1.25 lb ground turkey

Directions
1) Chop up the onions, jalapenos and the hatch chili peppers
2) Saute the onion with a small amount of olive oil, don't let them get crispy
3) Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, kidney beans, garlic powder, parsley, oregano, Tony's, minced onion, jalapenos, hatch peppers, and dry pasta.  Bring to a simmer
4) Brown the beef and turkey
5) Add meat to sauce
6) Cook for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  I added 1-2 cups of water to thin it up bit.


Boyfriend even made an appearance to help.

Garlic bread on the side...odd, but we had to use it before it was no good.
And a nice bottle of Halloween-y wine.
Oh! And Thursday night football!


Like I said, I thought it came out fantastic.  Boyfriends suggestions...more tomato sauce, less tomato paste and more meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment